I have always loved patterns and special details. Todays project is going to be all about that. I am so excited to share this project with you all. Are you familiar with MacKenzie-Childs merchandise? It is for sure one of a kind. Their products as gorgeous, fabulous, beautiful, unique, original, definitely high quality. They may not be affordable for some or budget friendly. Today I would like to make something that is going to be for sure all the way affordable. Shall we paint harlequin patten star in black and white pattern with some gold? I am so ready for good MacKenzie-Childs inspired star diy .
SUPPLIES NEEDED to create a black and white star
This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you purchase from one of the these links I will make a small commission, but rest assured you will not pay more for any products.
- Enamel HIGH GLOSS Black Paint
- White High Gloss Enamel Paint
- DecoArt Metalic Gold paint
- Hot Glue Gun
- Wooden Beads
- Set of Good Paint Brushes
How to make MacKenzie-Childs inspired STAR home decor piece
I was so lucky to be able to find at the dollar spot at the Target store nice 3D STAR. Loved it because it is around 12 inches high. That size is simply perfect for my needs.
Just because I bought my piece few months ago you may not be lucky locate one there so I went on the hunt and found exactly the same one on Amazon just couple dollars more. It is exactly the same one as I have. CLICK HERE to be directed to Amazon. I am so addicted to that project that I picked 3 more from the store to make for family and friends or even at some point put that in my SHOP for you to get.
Let’s make a plan
Good plan for this project is a key. As most of you know….I am a lover of all textures and patterns! MacKenzie-Childs merchandise is full of patterns and colors. I have made already so many projects with them that I will be sharing one by one with you so make sure to read through the post and follow pictures to get more details. Majority of McKenzie-Childs patterns are Harlequin, Checkered or Stripes all in black and white with some gold glazing.
Here is my first try with mixing all those white & black pattern. Dollar Tree Leaf Makeover – DIY Click on the picture to read more about that project. I promise it is super easy.
- Today I like to challenge myself and try to paint my star in Harlequin Pattern. Planning is the key. It really takes the longest to get it done. As you can see I was trying so many options. It wasn’t easy because my star was 3D and I wanted to make sure my design is fairly uniformed and it is in the medium scale
- As you can see I decided to paint my harlequin pattern on the star in different sizes to have it even more original. If you follow me for some time you know I love to add my own spin on projects I put my hands on
- I was so happy to finally have my pencil design sketch out on my star. Now it is time to have fun with some paint. I do have to admit it is time consuming project but that is what I really love about it. It takes couple of paint coats to have full coverage. As you are going to make your first paint strokes you may actually noticed that is not easy to stay in lines of your penciled pattern. Don’t worry about your lines not being stirght … just do your best. Gold Glazing that we will add at the end will even all out. if I can give you one more advice make sure that you have a good selection of paint brushes that will help you in this start diy.
Painitng supply list
Check those sets of paint brushes that I own myself and used in that star diy project
- As you can see my lines are not the best but that is ok … To help to mute those lines you need to take a flat soft paint brush and go over each line.Make sure that your brush is almost dry. Loved that glaze so much that decided to paint tips of my star arms solid gold.
- As I started to see my pattern a bit better another decision was made..lol That is what usually happens as I craft. Wooden beads at the end of each arm and some of mini beads and some in the center sounded soo appealing.
Details are so important to me so here is more wooden beads that I decided to add to bring even more interest without really overpowering my star design. Painting beads is super easy. I just dipped them into leftovers of my gold paint and coated them evenly.
Don’t you just love how my harlequin pattern star is looking right now? Love my MacKenzie-Childs inspired star
I couldn’t be pleased with how my black and white star diy turned out.
I am check obsessed chic for sure I see them everywhere. You must check out this flower project I bought at Michaels
This flower is one of my favorite ones I have done lately. Check ALL DETAILS HERE
Recap MacKenzie-Childs Inspired STAR PROJECT VIDEO can be found HERE
I really need to admit that this black and white harlequin pattern star became one of my favorite accessories in my home decor. It fits perfectly with everything I have in my house. Black and white star
You can read more here on How to make Three Tiered Tray under 10$ that is in the picture above
if you follow me for some time you do know that I love to make flowers out of different materials. You can see TUTORIAL ON HOW TO MAKE EASY FELT HYDRENGEA HERE
Details on how to make over that try shown in the pictures above
Puffy heart TUTORIAL can be found HERE
Snow Globe/ Gumball Machine was one of my terra cotta projects of course inspired by McKenzie-Childs print
if you enjoy this project you may like to see rustic Book pages version of the same star I made
Please Save This To Pinterest or Share on Social Media
Friends, your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. A quick share to Facebook or save to Pinterest allows me to bring more home decor projects and crafts to more home decor DIY lovers.