Love love love Harlequin pattern .. It looks super elegant and make awesome background to any projects. Some may think it is super difficult .. but it really isn’t . I decided to show you step by step my method of painting harlequin pattern easy. Who is ready ? Another painting technique tutorial step by step
Love making all different patterns. This one was random but so love it. See details HERE
Step by step Harlequin Pattern
Grab any flat surface and lets have fun!
I have a canvas that I love to experiment on so don’t mind imperfections under white paint
All you need to make this harlequin technique work easy is to have a masking or some may call painters tape. You can get that at any hardware store, Dollar Tree or Amazon . I got mine on Amazon HERE
How to paint harlequin pattern easy
- I like to start to tape from one corner to another as it shows in pictures below
- use another strip of the same paint to predict equal distance and add another piece next to it
- remove marker tape and continue taping till all surface is covered as it shows on picture 2
Turn your surface and tape same way from the other corners diagonally
- all is taped and its time to begin painting . Your goal is to paint uncovered squares . Make sure your tape is attached perfectly to your surface to avoid smears .
- Make sure to paint in one motion so your don’t lift your tape
- all is painted and it is time to dry all well.
It is sort of same as i did on my diagonal pumpkin buffalo plaid. See details HERE
- when all is dry it is time to remove your tape
- back to tape again.. this time you need to tape your squares you painted both ways as it shows on the last picture
Paint again exposed canvas, dry and remove your tape
Add some details .. In my case I added wax to age a bit ,a gold dots and accented some imperfect lines and my background was all done
and just because I always have some molds on hand I decided to decorate my canvas with it. Bit of black paint highlighted with gold rub and I think I have myself awesome shelf sitter
You do need to agree this step by step painting technique was easy to follow
Add a crackle with chippy paint to your harlequin pattern
Just becasue I love to explore painting techniques I have plenty on my blog. Learn how to crackle and then add harlequin pattern . See all details HERE
Please Save This To Pinterest or Share on Social Media
Friends, your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. A quick share to Facebook or save to Pinterest allows me to bring more home decor projects and crafts to more home decor DIY lovers.