Let’s talk about decoupaging … shall we ? Let’s learn some decoupage tips. There are so many decoupage techniques out there that are my favorite. Do you know what decoupage mean? Time to start from the beginning. We will even talk about fire burning napkin decoupage technique
According to Wikipedia. Decoupage or découpage is the art of decorating an object by gluing colored paper cutouts onto it in combination with special paint effects, gold leaf and other decorative elements … and the result looks like painting or inlay work.
If you follow me for some time you know I love details and pop of color here and there. I love to change things up all the time so that means I love to craft on the budget. That is why I love to craft with napkins. They are instantly bringing so much interest to any project.
Did you know that you can decoupage on any surface ? You can decoupage on wood, glass, terra cotta, fabric and even on some plastic surfaces.
How to decoupage with napkin
We all have our own ways to go around decoupaging but let me tell you how I do it and it works as a charm.
- Prep a surface that means wipe clean and make sure there are no obstacles that can rip your napkin
- Depending on your surface and your plan of action you may need to paint. I like to pick a color of my paint that will enhance complement my napkin and that means my project will look extra special. My choice is always chalk paint but you can of course use acrylic paint too. These below are my all time favorites.
- Pick your adhesive … that means Mod-Podge and let me tell you there are lots of them out there ! It all depends on what surface you are working with or where you are thinking to place your piece. My always go to kind is basic Matt Mod Podge and if I feel sparkly I use a Gloss kind.
- Separate your napkin ply’s. Most napkins have 3 ply’s. It is important to remove them. There are again lots of ways to do it …. Some just blow on the the side to expose napkins, some lick their fingers …lol … others use scotch tape I like to dip gently my 2 fingers into Mod- Podge and get them tacky and simply tap my napkin and all is separating beautifully without any rips.
- apply thin coat of Matt Mod-Podge and slowly apply your napkin to your surface. I like to use saran wrap to smooth some wrinkles that may happen in the application process. It truly works wonders. You for sure don’t want to lift up your napkin because it may rip. Some tiny wrinkles are ok ..they actually give some character to your project.
If you are dealing with flat surface and really not enjoying tiny wrinkles you may actually like to try Ironing technique that I usually like to work with fabric napkin decoupaging. Check out this crafting mini IRON HERE . We will for sure talk about that soon
Little decoupage tips – info on Mod-Podge
- Fabric – Wash and dry the fabric (do not use fabric softener). Iron (if necessary) and then lay out on a covered work surface. Wax paper is preferable for covering your table. Using a brush, paint a light coat of Fabric Mod Podge onto your fabric. Allow to dry. This will allow you to cut the fabric like paper without frayed edges. You can actually wash your shirt and your design will stay on.
- Paper – Most items, especially thicker papers and scrapbook papers, are ready to use with Mod Podge as is.
- Tissue Paper – There is nothing that you need to do to prepare tissue paper, but just know that because tissue is so thin, it is very difficult to Mod Podge without wrinkles. The good news is that wrinkles are typically part of the charm of using tissue paper and add a little character to your surface.
Napkin decoupage surfaces tips
You can decoupage napkin on all hard surfaces and even fabric. They instantly bring so much detail and interest to your project whatever that may be
Decoupaging on Glass
Check all details about this glass decoupage project HERE
You must check my latest decoupage project on the glass with MacKenzie Childs accents on my YouTube channels below
Fire burning napkin decoupage technique
I absolutely love that project.. It was a mix of painting , patterns and even decoupaging with fire
LOVE TO HAVE FUN WITH NAPKINS .. We have so much fun with my Sassies in the Napkin Club ! JOIN US HERE We are constantly trying new applications and learning our best ways that work for us.
This is my aluminum flower that we decoupaged napkin on with the fire technique.
You can re- create this flower .. Check all details HERE . Replace fabric with aluminum pan to create this beauty
There are so many beautiful napkins out there that can almost instantly change a project. Bring so much character.
all details about this project can be found here HERE Replace your fabric with aluminum and you are all set
How to decoupage with Fire
Yup you read that right … Fire decoupage is absolutely one of my favorite ways to decoupage on small pieces or super decorative ones . It is not technique invented by me but brought to me by my Girls in Sassy Napkin club
Check it out all project below with videos on fire burning napkin decoupage technique
All those metal flowers that you can find in any stores in the sales isles can super easy be transformed to beauties . Napkin burning decoupage technique is soo much fun
Here are some ideas for fire burning napkin decoupaged projects
on my last event on my Facebook page I transformed a flower into patriotic decor. Wonder what do you think about that project. Napkin decoupage make budget friendly diy. Make sure to check all tips on NAPKIN BURNING TECHNIQUE HERE
Did you know you can also make your own napkin ? Read more about it HERE
i so hope you are enjoyed some of those decoupage tips in this blog post
It was super fun decoupage technique
METAL DECOUPAGING technique IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE !
This wreath I purchased in the Hobby Lobby and decided to change its look with napkins and of course some MacKenzie Childs accents
MacKenzie Childs diy’s that I work on are simply perfect to mix with decoupage. Check some of them on my blog HERE
Let’s talk about decoupaging on fabric. It is one of my favorite techniques that we develop and learn in the Napkin Club that I will soon dedicate full blog post on but in a meantime JOIN US IN THE CLUB AND CRAFT WITH US IN THE PRIVATE SETTINGS IN THE FACEBOOK GROUP
You so need to check this blog post and put to use all your napkin plies to use to even more fun projects. All details HERE
Please Save This To Pinterest or Share on Social Media
Friends, your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. A quick share to Facebook or save to Pinterest allows me to bring more home decor projects and crafts to more home decor DIY lovers