I just don’t know why it took me so long to add this easy pierogi recipe to my blog. It is a staple of my eastern European cuisine. They are for sure our holiday tradition. Let’s make easy polish pierogi filled with simple filling. Let’s make pierogi with potato filling. It took me a while to master my Mom pierogi dough but I did it! It was all about right amount of flour.
- 4 cups flour plus ¼ cup extra flour for kneading
- 2 small eggs
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Mix the flour and salt, place into a bowl and make a well in the centre.
- Add oil and crack the eggs into the flour. Using a fork, stir the eggs into the flour.
- Slowly add the water while kneading, until the dough forms a sticky ball.
- Continue to knead the dough on a floured surface until dough is soft but not sticky. Knead the dough for about 5 minutes.
- Cover the dough with a bowl and allow to rest for about an hour. If you’re in a hurry you can use after 30 minutes of rest, but an hour is best.
- You now have the perfect Pierogi dough.
As my pierogi dough was resting I decided to make simple filing with potatoes
I started with
- Boil 3 big potatoes in the salted water
- Saute chopped 1 medium onion in 1 TABLESPOON of oil
Add potatoes to your frying pan and mash well all together.
Let’s assemble our pierogi
- roll your pierogi dough lightly floured surface . Your goal is to get to around 1/4 inch thickness
- use glass to cut out your circles . Just press firmly and fill your pierogi with your favorite filling
- fold circle in half and seal nicely edges. You could actually use fork to make sure all is sealed nicely and of course add that little detail
To make things easier you may like to get this helpful tool that will help you make them perfect and seal them perfectly too. Get it HERE . I need to wage if i like to hold on to our simple way of making it to keep our holiday traction alive
it goes pretty quick .. They are not perfect but hey we are learning together with my daughter. Love easy pierogi with potato filling.
Easy polish pierogi with potato filling
Boil your water with a tablespoon of oil because you dont want them to stick to each other.
- Drop few at the time wait till they surface the water and cook them for 5 to 8 minutes.
You could serve them right away but I love to sauté them with a bit of butter on a pan to get that nice crispy edge topped with some sliced saute onions… yum . Easy pierogi with potato filing are just the best.
Read more HERE about our Christmas Eve Dinner menu
As I will be making them for Christmas I will for sure share different ways to fill those easy pierogi for Christmas eve dinner. Another holiday tradition
Check our other traditional food that is always at our Christmas table. Of course in its meatless version. Love to hold on to holiday tradition . Full recipe HERE
We used to make gingerbread people or Gingerbread houses but this year we decided to build some trees. Check full recipe HERE
Please Save This To Pinterest or Share on Social Media
Friends, your shares are how this site grows and I am sincerely grateful. A quick share to Facebook or save to Pinterest allows me to bring more home decor projects and crafts to more home decor DIY lovers.